Monday, April 2, 2012

General Conference 2012


Today was General Conference Day
A day to listen, learn, ponder and pray.
Mary Walling 4/1/2012

     What a wonderful conference weekend it has been!  Saturday my husband and I went to our daughters Karrie and Leigh Anne's to watch the first session of conference on their big screen TV.  They have satellite and receive BYUtv.  I think that's awesome!  We were able to spend time with them and our two granddaughters Anai and Emileigh and enjoy the words of the leaders of the church. 
     We were able to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and to listen to the their beautiful music.  We were able to be filled with the spirit and feel the peace and calm that comes with knowing the gospel is true.                                                                                               
   
 Today I discovered that I could get BYUtv on my iPhone.  I downloaded it and my husband who has a different iPhone found the application for his phone.  He also downloaded it.  When it was time for conference, we shut ourselves in the bedroom, were we held hands and watched conference.  It was the first time we had had time to ourselves in a long time.  It was peaceful, quiet and inspirational.   There was something for everyone in each and every talk given.  My husband I were especially touched by the talk given by Neil L. Andersen.  We had been praying about a particular issue for over a month that had been bringing much contention into our home.
      President Andersen quoted
"For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another." (3 Nephi 11:29)     My sweet husband looked at me and said, "There's the answer to our prayers. It has caused nothing but contention for the last several months.  It's time now to put an end to it tomorrow". 
     The answer was there all the time, but we had been too stubborn to listen because it was something we thought was supposed to happen for us.  Instead we kept jumping through hoops for someone and something that was not supposed to happen, thus causing contention, anger and frustration between them, us and members of our family.  President Andersen had given us the answer in his talk.  It took hearing it from a leader of the church. 
     Isn't it wonderful how General Conference and the spoken word of our leaders help us to learn, ponder and pray as we listen to the word of the Lord?    

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a neat experience and got the answers you were seeking:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you peace. It was a wonderful conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I knew watching this conference I'd end up crying most of the way through... But I only cried twice. lol But I received the answers to my prayers about my trials. I really needed to listen to this conference, and I'm glad I did. :)

    ReplyDelete