Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tribute to Home Teachers

Home Teachers are a special group
They’re an assigned duo
Called into service as priesthood bearers
Representing the Lord Jesus Christ

A divine service, a divine call
To bring unbounded peace,
Joy and satisfaction to God’s children
To nurture and inspire, to counsel and direct

HOME TEACHERS
The home teachers knocked on our door
And said that they were sorry for
Not calling for an appointment before
Coming to visit our family of four.

We’d been inactive for quite a spell
It had been some time since home teachers had rung our bell.
Seeing them standing there made my heart swell
And I felt the emptiness in my soul dispel.


Our home teachers came rain or shine
We were given a message every time
Then they would come again as if by design
To gently help us toe the line.

Tenderly, compassionately they nurtured us
And then one day they did request
That we put on our Sunday best
And return to the Lord’s sweet house of rest.


Because they loved us unconditionally
They also fed us nutritionally
With messages of spirituality
And helped to show us our own accountability.


They loved us back into the fold
And blessings we’ve received have been fourfold
All because home teachers did uphold
A calling considered more priceless than gold.


Home Teachers will never know
The change that a family can undergo
By ministering with love that overflows
From the seeds of compassion that they sow.


Home Teaching a divine service, a divine call
To minister to members one and all
To nurture, inspire, council, direct even the small
As sacred standard-bearers meeting God’s call.
Mary L. Walling 5/2011


     Tonight our home teachers came to visit.  Instead of the message from the First Presidency, they followed the spirit and gave a wonderful and beautiful lesson on our own individual worth.  This was a lesson that I felt our family  needed.  We have been going through some stressful trials and tribulations and I know that several of us have wondered "Why me"? or "What did I do"?   I know that the Lord does not give us trials and tribulations as punishment for things we do or don't do.  The scriptures tell us that He will not give us any trial or tribulation that He doesn't think we can't handle.  Trials and tribulations are given to us to help strengthen us, to help us grow spiritually and temporally.  One trial may be preparing us and strengthening us for the next trial or tribulation.  That explains to me why when I feel I am getting one step ahead, something happens that puts me 2 steps behind and at times makes me say to the Lord that enough is enough and it's someone else's turn for a change.
     My sweet daughter who is going through a particularly stressful and trying period in her life right now asked for a blessing of comfort while the home teachers were here.  In that beautiful blessing, she was admonished several times to humble herself in daily prayer and in secret prayer to the Lord and there she would find the peace and comfort that she needed to get through her time of trial.  As if this weren't enough to bring not only tears to every eye in the room, but the sweet holy spirit, our sweet and beautiful 3 year old granddaughter asked for a blessing of her own which the home teachers did not hesitate for one minute to give her .  There is a beautiful hymn that I have always loved called "Where Can I Turn for Peace"


Where Can I Turn for Peace?
1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924. © 1973 IRI

     Our home teachers also discussed with  us that even though we go through  trials and tribulations in our daily lives, that it doesn't make our worth any less in the sight of the sight of God.  It may in the sight of man, who focuses in this day and time on the material things in life as the worth of man, but never in the sight of God.  At this point one of our home teachers quoted from memory "The Touch of the Master's Hand" one  my favorite poems.  But this is the part that was the focal point:
And many a man with life out of tune
All battered with bourbon and gin
Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd
Much like that old violin

A mess of pottage, a glass of wine,
A game and he travels on.
He is going once, he is going twice,
He is going and almost gone.

But the Master comes,
And the foolish crowd never can quite understand,
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the Touch of the Masters' Hand.

Myra Brooks Welch

     The trials and tribulations that we go through daily are to help humble us and to teach us and to prepare us for what is to come.  We need to ask ourselves not "Why me"? or  "What did I do"?, but how am I going to handle this?  "What am I going to do about it"?  Search, ponder and pray.  Seek and ye shall find, knock and it will be opened" (Matt 7:7-8).  All we have to do is humble ourselves enough to lay our burdens at His feet and he will pick them up.  Is the worth of our soul and the change that is wrought worth the touch of the Master's Hand?   
   

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you have home teachers who are there for you. Bless them. Hang in there, and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete