Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Princess Sisters

THE PRINCESS SISTERS
BY
STACY LYNN CARROLL

From Back of Book
What happens when you mix five modern teenagers with five fairytale princesses?  Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, and Snow White Princess are cousins (and best friends) stuck with names they are not too fond of…and now together they must face the challenge of getting ready for high school-a world where fitting in is definitely a must.  But how will they ever fit in when they’re destined to stand out?  Or, perhaps more importantly, how will their friendship ever survive when the five Princesses all set their minds on one Prince?  

A young mother “Princess” who loved fairytales told them to her four young “Princess” daughters as they were growing up.  Her favorite story was about her “Prince”, their father, whose last name was really Princess, had swept her off her feet and rode off with her into the sunset on the back of a moped.  Then one day her “Prince” turned into a toad and left her to raise her daughters alone.  When the mother Princess died, the daughters Princesses decided that in her honor they would name their babies if they were girls, after each of the Disney Princesses.   So where is the problem?  Their last name is Princess.  Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel and Snow White.  It’s enough that they have to be subject to unique first names, but to have the last name Princess. What were their mothers thinking of?   Not only that, but each has a personal secret/fear that only the cousins know about.  Now they were in high school.  Middle school had been hard enough, but high school was where they definitely had to fit in.  It was not going to be easy when a handsome young “Prince” moves in across the street they all like him and a vindictive young lady who doesn’t like them sets out to make their life in high school miserable.  How do they overcome these two obstacles and turn the tables on everyone?

When I first started reading this book, I wasn’t sure if I would like it.  It really isn’t the genre that I read.  I was really surprised.  The book is delightful.  It was refreshing and I enjoyed the interplay with each of the girls.  I love the closeness they have with each other.  It brought back memories of my high school days.  I really felt for Snow White.  I was shy and very uncertain of myself in high school.  I stayed to myself, was not outgoing, wished I was more like Belle.  They could be mad at each other, say what they wanted about each other, but heaven forbid someone else did.  I love the reference made in the book that says “they say before you find your prince, you’ll kiss a frog or two…”  It reminded me of the class I taught in Young Women on dating.  When the girls met Dave Prince each one fell for him.  Was he a Prince, a frog or a toad?  When they started high school, how were they going to live down not only their names, but the ugly stigmas found on the poster taped to their lockers?  How did the vindictive young woman who taped the poster to their lockers find out their own inner personal secret?  No one knew them but the cousins themselves.  How do they turn the tables and use the vindictiveness to their advantage? 
If you are looking for something that is a refreshingly good read and stays within moral standards then I recommend this book to all young women ages 12 to 112.   

I was provided this book for review at no compensation by Stacy Lynn Carroll.
Stacy can be reached at stacylynncarroll@gmail.com
To schedule book signings, interviews, , class visits,or any questions contact the author at

No comments:

Post a Comment